D3 launcher updating setup files
We scoured the support forums for days, Googled, and had no luck until tonight. Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) (Note: Does not work on Vista.) Right Click the Icon, Run as Administrator. Delete your C:\Program Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Cache folder. Run the Downloader again, as administrator, and see if it gets past the “Updating Setup Files” window. Start the agent application manually and after that start Diablo III setup file in your Diablo-III-8370-en GB-Installer folder. Fix #4a – Clarification for Fix 4 by Garythe Oak 1. Here is the fix that finally worked for Graev: Fix #1 Go to Control Panel Properties Change it from ‘Disabled’ to ‘Automatic’ Run your Diablo 3 setup as administrator and it should quickly go through Updating Setup Files and bring you to an install screen. "這選項 2.然後請各位去C槽, 找到一個資料夾叫做 Program Data, 然後點進去 WIN7系統：\Users\用戶名\App Data\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net下cache文件夾（App Data為隱藏文件夾） XP系統：\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net下cache文件夾 3.之後會看到 這個資料夾, 請點進去, 這時會看到三個資料夾 4.最後請各位把Agent 的檔案夾給刪掉.(請放心地刪掉, 因為之後Run遊戲,會重新的產生出那個Agent的檔案夾) 5.然後這時請先 " ALT CRTL DEL" 進入"工作管理員"把 Agent.exe給關掉.Exe from this folder before it restarts itself in task manager (A DOS window will appear, let it run all the way, it will close itself) Once it finishes, the Launcher will die. Note, I ran Agent.524 first, not sure if that is a pertinent step or not, if it is, insert it before Agent.868. After trying all of the options posted to no avail, I started fiddling with it myself. But as the shadow once again crawls across our world... I tried everything, from killing Agent.exe, renaming it, deleting folder, and I still can't get it to start.If this works for you guys can you add it to the forums? What I did: Run launcher, it'll stick at 60% Open Task Manager and Kill Open C: Program Data/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.868 Run Agent. and the stench of terror drifts on a bitter wind... It just sits there with "Updating setup files...." and that's it. You're browsing the Game FAQs Message Boards as a guest.
Graev has Windows Vista and could not get past the “Updating Setup Files” little window that came up. ) This one worked for me: try and find the agent application in the folder (for example C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\battle.net\Agent). Check the folder you downloaded your files into for any that say . Run the downloader in the same directly you chose originally and it should fix the files automatically and/or finish downloading.
The Launcher is now happily updating my files as it normally does on a Patch.
Graev was unable to play Diablo 3 during the beta due to a problem with the launcher giving an error. it will get stuck for a min or so and then work Fix #5 (Thanks SCH) NOTE: This Fix is experimental. Proceed with Fix #5 at your own risk, “I followed all of the posted fixes and none of them were working for me.
However, now when I try to reinstall the game, the Diablo 3 Setup starts 'Updating setup files...' and then hangs; I have had a quick google for ideas on how to fix it which seems to bring up a bunch of posts when the server loads were really high last year, nevertheless I have been through the list of suggestions, making sure that secondary login is enabled, running the installer as administrator, etc.
After leaving the installer for ~30 minutes, it finally brings up an error stating it could not run the Blizzard agent; This gives me an error code - BLZPTS00007 - which gives me a few more google hits including a seemingly official guide on how to troubleshoot agent issues on Battle.net, however performing the steps listed under 'Advanced Troubleshooting' still hasn't resolved my problem.